Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sunday Night Suds - Saranac Chocolate Amber Lager


Tonight's Sunday Night Suds review looks at Saranac Chocolate Amber Lager, a winter seasonal beer that is sold as part of Saranac's 12 Beers of Winter box. Yes, its late June and the temperature here in NY has been around 90 nearly every day, but I am reviewing a dark, winter beer. Why? Read on.

Last week I was rooting through one of the boxes of beer under my counter that serves as a catch all collector. Like many beer stores, occasionally I find myself with singles or pairs of beers from sixes or twelves that I have bought, but have for some reason or other not finished, before I have moved on to try something else. When this happens, the remainders go into the box (or boxes depending on my mood and what Sarah lets me keep) under the counter. In this way, I am quite different from my father-in-law, a dedicated Heineken drinker whose philosophy is - why change a good thing (in his case why try something other than Heineken). Personally, I keep trying different beers, not because I believe that there is a perfect beer out there, but because the market place of Kosher beer is rapidly evolving and I want to experience as many as I can. Indeed, I have been frequently asked since I started this blog, what are you going to do when you run out of beers to review? My answer is simple, I'll worry about it when I get there. There are so many different kosher brands and varieties out there, I can't imagine running out any time soon.

But back to Saranac, they are now somewhat back on line. Their website indicates that as of June 13th (a fortuitous date for a kosher brewer) they are packaging at another location and have recommenced giving tours and contributing to the community. For more information, click on the following link http://www.saranac.com/page/brewery-fire . If you are a fan of theirs, please click on the comments link and give them chizuk. V'Hamayvin Yavin.

Saranac Chocolate Amber Lager is a dark beer with a rich chocolaty flavor. Unlike some other Saranac beers, the flavor in the Chocolate Amber Lager is not externally influenced by additives or flavorings. The beer itself is a slow drinking beer which can be enjoyed in the comfort of a well air conditioned dining room or living room after a Friday Night supper (which is how I enjoyed mine the other night).

Saranac Chocolate Amber Lager is under the Kosher Supervision of the Vaad of Detroit as are all beers brewed by Saranac. For the experts' take on the Chocolate Amber Lager please click here http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/99/6796 .

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.

If you have seen this post being carried on another site such as JBlog, please feel free to click here to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: