Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sunday Night Suds - He'brew Messiah Bold



Tonight's Sunday Night Suds beer review looks at the He'Brew (the self styled "Chosen Beer") Messiah Bold.

I had heard much about the He'Brew products, but never had one until a co-worker left me a present of a couple of Messiah Bolds on my desk. Well, without the benefit of a shehechiyanu, here is my take on the Messiah Bold.

While they call this beer a Brown Ale, it really seems to be more in the stout family. The beer itself pours a very dark brown and is faintly reminiscent of the Brooklyn Brewery Dark Chocolate Stout. I had some tonight with my wife's bison chili and it was good, but the flavors did not exactly meld. It did stand up well to the spiced chili, but may be better suited to less savory fare.

The Messiah Bold is an unflavored beer which is under the kosher supervision of the KSA. I spoke with a friend who works at the Orthodox Union who did me a favor and checked into the brew for me before I consumed it. This is not the first double endorsed KSA product I have consumed as the Smirnoff Ice (formerly Twisted V) products which bear the KSA have been cleared by the CRC as well.

For the experts' take on the Messiah Bold, click here http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/262/12694 .

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.

Finally, if you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable).

If you have seen this post being carried on another site such as JBlog, please feel free to click here to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Neil. This is Zak Davis from Shmaltz Brewing Company. Just wanted to say thanks for checking out Messiah Bold. Glad you enjoyed it. If you're not into the darker beers, the Genesis Ale is also great. L'Chaim!!

Neil T said...

Guess I went out of order as Genesis logically should have been the first He'Brew I tried.