Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sunday Night Suds - PC Honey Red


This week's Sunday Night Suds review looks at President's Choice Honey Red.

In preparing for a trip to visit the newly Northern branch of my family, I perused the COR website in an effort to broaden my buying experience in Canada. I noticed that there were quite a few brews under the name "Presidents Choice", but this was not a brewery that I was familiar with. Indeed, it does not even sound like a brewery.

Armed with my list, I went on the "Beer Store" and LCBO websites, looking to see which beer stores located near where we were staying carried the Presidents Choice beers. Oddly, the Presidents Choice brand did not show up, but a little digging on the Beer Advocate website indicated that the PC brand carried at the Beer Store was in fact the Presidents Choice listed on the COR site. I could not actually convince the COR to send me the LOC for the PC beers as it is a private label (for the Loblaws supermarket chain), but the COR website gave me a broad list of PC beers which were available at the Beer Store.

The problem with websites sometimes is that while they give you availability, you lose the fine print. Evidently, "store brand" Canadian beer means almost the same as macro in the United States. The PC beers came in 12, 20 or 24 packs (no sixers or singles) so I had to be judicious in my choices. The last thing I wanted to do is get stuck with a 24 pack of beer that I did not care for.

Thinking that you could not go wrong with a Honey Red, I picked up a 12 pack of the brews and brought them back to our hotel. I knew that I had made a mistake when Sarah (happy birthday my love) told me that she could easily drink a lot of this beer. It has a bit of beer taste and leaves a nice bit of foam on the glass. Other than that it is an apple juice colored beer with a little more kick than apple cider. No hops to speak of, and no honey taste or smell. The lack of bite was so confusing, I really had to check three times to be certain that it had alcohol in it (it claims to be 5% abv, but that must have gotten filtered out when I crossed the border back into the US).

PC Honey Red is under the Kosher Supervision of the Kashruth Council of Canada. To see what the experts on Beer Advocate think about PC Honey Red, please follow this link http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/416/30975.

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.If you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable).

If you have seen this post being carried on another site such as JBlog, please feel free to click here to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: