Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sunday Night Suds - Samuel Adams Coastal Wheat



Tonight's Sunday Night Suds looks at one of the newest offerings from Samuel Adams - the Coastal Wheat Ale.

When out shopping for kiddush worthy alcohol (yes Kosher Beers will drink single malts as well) I came across the Samuel Adams Coastal Wheat in the front of the display rack at Binny's in Skokie. As with most Samuel Adams brews, the Coastal Wheat did not have a Star-K on the label. I vaguely remembered seeing something like the Coastal Wheat on the LOC, so I called Sarah and asked her to check the link to the Samuel Adams LOC on this website. Sure enough, it was listed, so of course I had to buy it.

I then had second thoughts - did I really have to buy it? The six pack case indicated that it was beer brewed with coastal lemons from Oregon. Sometimes the lemon additive comes out right like the Saranac Summer Ale or the Samuel Adams Summer Ale. Other times fruit additives can be over the top and near undrinkable like the Saranac Summer Brew (lethal mixture of lemonade and lager), Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat (Cherry flavor + Wheat beer = Robitussin in a 12 oz bottle).

Since I did not find anything else of interest to me in the store, I picked up a sixer of the Coastal Wheat along with a six pack of the Shiner Commemorator as a back up. After proper refrigeration I popped one open during our first YT afternoon meal in the sukkah. The beer poured a dark yellow hefeweizen color and had a faint aroma of lemons. Despite the aroma, the beer was not overly sweet as the Sam Adams people seem to have used more lemon peel than fruit in their flavoring.

The Coastal Wheat was a great accompaniment to sweet kugel and poultry and would also work as a palate cleanser between fish and meat. I don't know if I would have one with heavy meat dishes. Must do more research...

Samuel Adams Coastal Wheat is under the Kosher Supervision of the Star-K. However, this is yet another Samuel Adams brew which does not have the certification mark on the label. If you would like to verify that the Coastal Wheat is on the LOC issued by the Star-K, please click here http://www.star-k.org/loc/kosher_letter_6635_bostonbeercompany.pdf.

To see what the experts on Beer Advocate think about the Coastal Wheat, please follow this link - http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/52633 . Oddly, this beer is so new that it is not even featured on the Samuel Adams website.

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver. Finally, if you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable).

If you have seen this post being carried on another site such as JBlog, please feel free to click here to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I Love the Coastal Wheat beer. Sam Adams makes some great beers and this is one of them. It may be my favorite since I like the lemon flavoring of this beer.

Neil T said...

Its a good one. If you like the lemon flavored Sam Adams, you should also try the Samuel Adams Summer Ale (reviewed here http://kosherbeers.blogspot.com/2008/07/sunday-night-suds-sam-adams-summer-ale.html ) as it is brewed with lemon zest.

Hello said...

It is interesting to know that it is on the Kosher list since my husband is Jewish. I just had this beer this evening and when I opened it I thought gee it said Coastal Wheat, but it has a lemony flavor. I never noticed the small print that said lemon. When I search the Sam Adams site I happened to see this one listed first in the search. I am not fond of all the Sam Adams but maybe this one struck me because I normally drink Mexican beer with lime. I may be a converter. :)
~Kay
PS I will tell my hubby this is on the Kosher list LOL