Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sunday Night Suds - New Belgium Mothership Wit


This week's Sunday Night Suds looks at New Belgium's Mothership Wit - an organic Wheat Beer.

Normally, I have reservations about trying organic products. Its not that I am anti-green, but I do have concerns that the taste or quality of the organic product suffers as a result of the process.

So when a friend brought me a back a six pack of the New Belgium Mothership Wit when he came back from Chicago, I had some truly mixed feelings. New Belgium makes a quality beer and I have yet to try a variety that I have not liked. On the other hand, organic beer just sounds like it should be skunky.

While taking the individual bottles of the Mothership Wit out of the six pack holder, I noticed that they had instructions as far as the proper way to pour the beer. Entitled "how to fly the mothership", the instructions tell you to first pour some of the beer, then swirl the remaining beer in the bottle and then finish by pouring the remaining beer into the glass. I remember seeing similar instructions on some of the Coopers (Australia) varieties.

I experimented with the Mothership Wit by following the instructions for one bottle and pouring the other bottle in normal fashion. Simply put, following the instructions yielded a much more flavorful beer.

When properly "flying the mothership" I saw a beer which poured a straw yellow color but was not light on taste. The brew gave the unique banana bread like flavor which comes from a true witbier. It was also perfectly carbonated and was equally refreshing at the first and last sips.

New Belgium Mothership Wit is under the Kosher Supervision of the Scroll-K of Colorado. Although the beer does not bear the kosher symbol on the label, it can be found on the bottom of the six pack carrier. Additionally, if you would like me to e-mail you the LOC for New Belgium Mothership Wit, send me an e-mail and I will gladly oblige.

Please note that not every brew produced by New Belgium is under kosher supervision. Please click on the link on the left side of my home page to see my latest Kosher Beer List.

To see what the experts on Beer Advocate think about New Belgium Mothership Wit, please follow this link http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/192/30538 . As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.

If you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable).

Finally, if you have seen this post being carried on another site, please feel free to click http://www.kosherbeers.blogspot.com/ to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: