Sunday, November 10, 2013

Sunday Night Suds - Boulevard Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale


This week's Sunday Night Suds looks at Boulevard Brewery's Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale.

I must admit, that a year ago I had never heard of the "Farmhouse" style of beer. But after having tried three different versions over the last six months (Blue Moon's Short Straw Farmhouse Ale, reviewed here - kosherbeers.blogspot.com/2013/06/sunday-night-suds-blue-moon-short-straw.html and Shiner's FM 966 Farmhouse Ale, reviewed here - kosherbeers.blogspot.com/2013/05/sunday-night-suds-shiner-fm-966.html), the style is starting to grow on me.

I shared the Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale with Mrs KB and a few friends who joined us for Shabbos lunch. The beer had been in the 'fridge for about 36 hours, so it was the right temperature for serving and drinking. The beer poured a pale orange, somewhat lighter than I was expecting. There was about an inch of foam in the glass which did not dissipate quickly. As I brought the glass to my lips, I was struck by the cloves/phenol and I expected a witbier type flavor profile. But as I consumed more of the beer, I realized that it was a bit sweeter than a witbier and I began to appreciate the complexity of the flavor. Towards the end, I even began to detect grapefruit and hop bite, but again it was somewhat subdued.

The only true bite to this beer is the price. It can be found in 22 oz bottles for around $5 a piece or in four packs of 12 oz bottles which run anywhere from $10-12 a pack. I only purchased one as part of a mix four pack that I picked up in Massachusetts. Yes, just like all the other Boulevard products, this beer is not yet available in New York. Maybe now that it has been bought by the parent company of Ommegang they may start importing it into NY. Stay tuned.

Boulevard Brewery Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale is under the Kosher Supervision of the Va'ad of Kansas City, but the bottle I purchased did not have the certification mark on the label. If you would like the LOC from the Va'ad, please let me know and I will email it to you.

To see what the experts on Beer Advocate think about this brew, please follow this link -beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/423/50570.

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver. 

If you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable). 

If you have seen this post being carried on another site, please feel free to click www.kosherbeers.blogspot.com to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: