Sunday, April 27, 2014

Sunday Night Suds - New Belgium Snapshot Wheat Ale



This week's Sunday Night Suds beer review looks at New Belgium Snapshot Wheat Ale.

It happens every year. At some point during the Pesach holiday, someone will approach me and ask, is it tough to go eight+ days without a beer? And every year, I respond, no its not hard - I can go without the beer. But then over the last days of Pesach, I will begin to think of which beer I would like to buy after Pesach to celebrate the end of the turnover process.

This year, the post Pesach beer buying was a little more challenging as we were in Chicago for Pesach and had a flight out at 1030AM the next morning. Because YT ended so late, I was unable to get to Binny's before they closed, so I (along with hundreds of other Jews in Chicago) went to Jewel on Howard to buy chometz after Peach ended. However, unlike most other shoppers who were loading their carts with cereal, bread and other leavened nosh, I spent my time in the beer aisle, looking for non-East Cost beer varieties that I could mix in a six pack. I settled on a few different New Belgium products, including the Snapshot Wheat Ale.

After proper chilling, I poured the Snapshot and observed that it was quite pale, even for an American Wheat Ale. The beer had some initial foam which quickly dissipated and there was little to no lacing on the glass. The Snapshot is an unfiltered wheat ale, but it did not have much in the way of "floaters" nor spice notes. It did have a bit of tartness/sour flavor which I have not decided whether I am a fan of. It is not an artificial lemon additive flavor, but it does not seem to belong in a wheat beer either. 

New Belgium Snapshot under the Kosher Supervision of the Scroll-K of Colorado. Although the beer does not bear the kosher symbol on the label, I have verified its kashruth with the Scroll-K and it is listed on the LOC. Please note that not every brew produced by New Belgium is under kosher supervision. For a list of the New Belgium brews currently under supervision, please click on the link on the left side of my home page for my latest Kosher Beer List.

To see what the experts on Beer Advocate think about New Belgium Snapshot, please follow this link beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/192/110447. As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.

If you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable).

Finally, if you have seen this post being carried on another site, please feel free to click www.kosherbeers.blogspot.com to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: