Sunday, October 5, 2014

Sunday Night Suds - Stegmaier Pumpkin Ale


This week's Sunday Night Suds looks at Stegmaier's Pumpkin Ale.

When the weather gets crisp and the sukkahs go up, its time for fall beers. For me, the two fall styles that I most enjoy are the Pumpkin Ales and the Octoberfest lagers. 

For those unfamiliar with Stegmaier, it is a line produced by Lion, a Northeast Pennsylvania brewery. As Stegmaier/Lion is not available in the NY metro area, I personally had never heard of this brewery until I recently read that it was under the kosher supervision of the OU.  During our family trip to Scranton, I saw a few varieties of Stegmaier/Lion available at a Wegman's where you could mix your own six pack, so I picked a few up to try.

After opening the Pumpkin Ale, the first thing that I was struck by was the overwhelming smell of pumpkin and cinnamon spice. I shared some with Mrs KB and she thought it tasted like a pumpkin pie in a bottle. Although the beer claims to be 5.5% abv, I don't taste any alcohol in the brew. Although there is negligible hop flavor to this beer, I would really not consider this an ale. Instead, the beer is a sweet (but not cloyingly sweet) brew which would do well in the sukkah with stuffed cabbage, sweet chicken with raisins or possible honey cake type desserts.

Stegmaier Pumpkin Ale is certified kosher by the OU, and there is an OU on the label. For the experts take on the Stegmaier Pumpkin Ale, please click here beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/150/72670.

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.

If you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable).

If you have seen this post being carried on another site, please feel free to click www.kosherbeers.blogspot.com/ to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: