Sunday, November 16, 2014

Sunday Night Suds - Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata Ale


This week's Sunday Night Suds looks at Blue Moon's Cinnamon Horchata Ale.

I admit it. Even though Mrs KB and my daughters are foodies, I never heard of Horchata...until I got an email tip that Blue Moon would be brewing a new beer which was spiced with Horchata. I quickly went to the internet and found out that it is a traditional Latin American beverage and can be made of ground almonds, sesame seeds, rice, barley, or tigernuts. 

Months went by and I did not see the beer and I figured that it would be coming out in the spring or possibly in the special edition 22oz bottles. But then I stopped in the beer store and saw that the Cinnamon Horchata Ale had been substituted for the Gingerbread Spice Al in this year's Winter Brewmaster Sampler box.

As you can see from the picture above, the Cinnamon Horchata Ale pours a very pale yellow and it is quite cloudy. But this beer is not short on flavor. There is an immediate sweetness, but it is not cloyingly sweet and there are interesting flavor notes of cinnamon and a cream-like richness.

I would not pair this beer with a main course, but could see having this with desserts like pumpkin or apple pie. I spoke  with a beer store owner out in Riverhead and he said that he had sold out his six packs of the Cinnamon Horchata Ale. I have not seen it available in six packs, but if I do locate them, I will be experimenting with pairing this brew with many a dessert (the Brewmasters Sampler Box only has two of these).

Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata Ale is certified kosher by the Orthodox Union. For the experts take on the Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata Ale, please click here beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/306/131839.

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.

If you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable).

If you have seen this post being carried on another site, please feel free to click www.kosherbeers.blogspot.com/ to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: