Sunday, June 21, 2015

Sunday Night Suds - Strongbow Gold Apple Hard Cider


This week's Sunday Night Suds looks at Strongbow Gold Apple Hard Cider.

Yes, I know that hard apple cider is not beer and I am sure that I will get email and comments from people who will correctly point out that it does not qualify as "suds", but I bought this a few months ago at the suggestion of a mashgiach who really knows beer and so I had to review it to toast my kids who are the apple[s] of my eye.

Strongbow makes four versions of its hard cider which are certified kosher by the Kosher Federation (KF) - the Cinnamon Apple, Ginger Apple, Gold Apple and Gold Cider. A press release touts Strongbow as the world's leading cider brand, citing to some Euro-study, but I cannot vouch for its accuracy. However, given that its import rights are owned by Heineken, it is readily available in the US and I would imagine that it does contribute to its sales numbers.

Unlike many other hard ciders which I have tried, this cider really had very little alcoholic kick to it. The cider tastes like it has been made with a cross between Macintosh and granny smith apples and it pours a clear color and has a smell which is reminiscent of apple juice. There is somewhat of an alcohol flavor in the aftertaste but it is really not bitter at all. I have a hard time believing the label's claim that this is 5% abv.

For those looking for an alternative for their nine days havdallah needs, this may fit the bill. Just remember to check with your posek as to his preference for havdallah (wine/grape juice consumed by child/beer or alcoholic fruit drinks).

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer (or cider) unless there is no designated driver. 

If you've tried this cider or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable). 

If you have seen this post being carried on another site, please feel free to click www.kosherbeers.blogspot.com to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: