Sunday, November 15, 2015

Sunday Night Suds - Leffe Blonde


This week's Sunday Night Suds looks at Leffe Blonde.

I first became aware of Leffe Blonde being kosher when I started to receive KF letters of certification as part of building the semi annual kosher beers list. I was not familiar with the brewery as I tended not to pay attention to the Belgian aisle. This was not being a xenophobe or ignorance, but simply because I could never get good information on which Belgian beers were unflavored.

Recently I had an opportunity to pick up some of the Leffe products including the Leffe Blond.  I put this in the fridge for a little over a week so that I could share it with friends who were visiting us for Shabbos lunch. I opened it after the fish course and poured it into some stemless wine glasses and passed them around. 

The first sniff of the beer gave everyone some pause. I had tried only one other Abbey Ale and that beer was spiced with brown sugar (Blue Moon Winter Moon). But once the beer had a chance to breath and I tried a few sips, I began to enjoy the phenols and clove flavors which to me would be more apt for a hefeweizen. While I would not go out and buy a six pack of this brew, I would want to experiment with pairings (no this was not a good mix with the cholent which followed the fish course).

Leffe Blonde is under the Kosher Supervision of the Kosher Federation (KF), but the bottle I purchased did not have the certification mark on the label. If you would like the LOC from the Va'ad, please let me know and I will email it to you.

To see what the experts on Beer Advocate think about this brew, please follow this link -http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/470/2137.

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver. 

If you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable). 

If you have seen this post being carried on another site, please feel free to click www.kosherbeers.blogspot.com to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: