Sunday, August 12, 2018

Sunday Night Suds - Boulevard Tropical Pale Ale


This week's Sunday Night Suds looks at Boulevard Tropical Pale Ale.

This summer I had an added benefit in summering at Camp M as the Rav HaMachshir for the Va'ad of Kansas City was on staff at the Camp. So naturally, I had to ask him for some updates on the Boulevard Brewery beers and he put me in touch with the mashgiach assigned to the brewery...who tipped me off to new beer under the kosher supervision of the Vaad of KC, including the Boulevard Tropical Pale Ale.

Before reviewing the beer, I need to give a quick warning. Although the gurus at beer advocate call this an American Pale Ale, this is nothing like a typical Pale Ale. When I hear American Pale Ale, I think of the Saranac Pale Ale, not a beer brewed with grapefruit and passion fruit. Yet for reasons I cannot explain, they do classify this brew as an American Pale Ale.

This beer is all fruit and very little derived from hops, as best as I can tell. The passion fruit seems to be the strongest flavor, together with what could be pink grapefruit juice. The beer poured a rich golden color with little lacing and some foam and little alcohol flavor, despite the 5.9% abv. 

I would recommend this beer for people who like alcopop or hard cider. If you are looking for a Pale Ale, keep looking.

Boulevard Tropical Pale Ale is under the Kosher Supervision of the Va'ad of Kansas City, but the bottle I purchased did not have the certification mark on the label. Hopefully the Vaad of KC will come out with their new LOC for Boulevard soon -- the prior list can be found on the list of kosher certified beers on the Vaad of KC website (http://vaadkc.org/blog).

To see what the experts on Beer Advocate think about this brew, please follow this link - http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/423/215146.

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.

If you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable).

Lastly, if you have seen this post being carried on another site, please feel free to click www.kosherbeers.blogspot.com to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: