Sunday, March 5, 2017

Sunday Night Suds - Malka IPA


This week's Sunday Night Suds takes a holiday spin by looking at Malka Brewery's Hindi IPA.

This is another of the beers which I picked up in the Beer Bazaar in Machane Yehuda in Jerusalem. I chose these beers without knowledge of their provenance and basically just chose IPAs and Pale Ales because those are my favorite styles. The proprietors of Beer Bazaar do offer a beer tasting which I have been told are two oz shots of ten beers for 20 shekel (approximately $5.25). However, since I was on my way out to meet the rest of the family for dinner, I did not have the opportunity to try it.

The name of the beer Hindi IPA is almost a redundancy as Hindi would be slang for someone from India and an IPA is an India Pale Ale. However unless you can read Hebrew, you would not know that the beer was actually called "Hindi".

The beer poured a dark copper and there was some hops which hit my nose when I raised the glass to my face. The carbonation was low and the alcohol backbone was a bit stronger than I expected for a beer with a 6.2% abv. As I consumed successive sips of this brew I did not notice a development of flavor as it was basically some hops together with a bit of breadiness.

The Malka Hindi IPA is certified kosher by Rav Shlomo Ben Eliyahu, Chief Rabbi of Mateh Asher regional  council and there is a certification mark on the label. To see what the experts on Beer Advocate think about this brew (yes its on BA), please follow this link beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/32374/143829/.

If you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable).

Also, if you are reading this post more than six months after it was written, please note that it is possible that the product is no longer still certified kosher. To verify that the product is still certified kosher, please check the label on the bottle you are purchasing (since the the kosher beers list link does not include beer brewed in Israel).

Lastly, if you have seen this post being carried on another site, please feel free to click www.kosherbeers.blogspot.com to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: