Sunday, February 3, 2019

Sunday Night Suds - Hatch IPA

Much like our vacation two years ago, we spent Yeshiva week this year visiting our daughter Yael in Israel. Every time that we go back I marvel at the continuing revolution in kosher craft beer available in Israel. I picked up beer in many locations, including Beer Bazaar in Machane Yehuda. But this week's Sunday Night Suds looks at Hatch Brewery's IPA.

For the Saturday Night that we were in Israel our daughter competed in a seminary singing competition which was (understandably) women only. While the female members of our family (along with friends who made aliyah a few years back) attended the competition, the males went to Hatch in Machane Yehuda for wings, brats, dirty chips and beer.

(Since this is not a food and beer review blog I wont be reviewing the food, but suffice it to say we left full and happy with all of our food choices).

The beer at Hatch is also specially brewed at the restaurant. When looking over the menu I saw quite a few beers  that I wanted to try, but since they are all on draft I could not post a picture of a label, so instead I posted a picture from their instagram page.


The IPA came after the chips and shortly before the wings, so I had a chance to try this both with and without the bar food. The beer poured a rich orange/copper with significant lacing and decent carbonation. The first few sips had very nice hops and some pine. There was a little grapefruit as well and the bitterness was well balanced. If I recall correctly, the beer was 5.5% abv and ran 28 shekel (approximately $8) for 400 ml glass. If lived local I would have considered filling a growler and bringing some back, but they don't do very well in the suitcase (don't worry, I did bring some others back for future SNS columns).

Hatch brewery restaurant (and all of its products) are certified kosher by Jerusalem Rabbinate (Mehadrin) and there is a kosher certificate hanging by the bar. I could not find any reviews of the specific beers on line, but feel free to post comments below (anonymous comments are acceptable).

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.


If you have seen this post being carried on another site, please feel free to click www.kosherbeers.blogspot.com to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up

No comments: