Sunday, February 14, 2021

Sunday Night Suds - Samuel Adams Alpine Lager


This week's Sunday Night Suds looks at Samuel Adams Alpine Lager.

It seems to you like Samuel Adams has not been producing many new beers recently, you are not alone. From my unscientific review (i,e, from what I see in the beer stores in Long Island) it seems like Samuel Adams has been repackaging old beers with updated labels, but not introducing new beers. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as the Samuel Adams standard beers are quite good. But if you are looking to try new beers, you generally need to look elsewhere.

Having said that, when I was in Total Wine in Westbury the other week, I did notice that this winter's Gameday Beers Variety Pack did indicate that the Alpine Lager was new, and since Total allows you to buy singles, I picked up one of these during my trip.

The Alpine Lager poured a cloudier orange than I was expecting and the beer was also somewhat less bready than the average lager. The resulting unfiltered lager had a crisp flavor to it, almost approaching a lemon kind of citrus and it was quite enjoyable. At 5.5% abv the beer is slightly above average for a lager, but the alcohol taste was not present and if I had more than one I don't know that I would have felt it.

The Alpine Lager is under the Kosher Supervision of the Star-K and has a Star-K certification mark on the label. The experts on Beer Advocate think this beer is the same as the Alpine Lager of old (reviewed here beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/76571) but I don't think its the same brew.

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.

If you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable).

Lastly, if you have seen this post being carried on another site, please feel free to click www.kosherbeers.blogspot.com to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: