Sunday, May 18, 2008

Sunday Night Suds - Redhook Long Hammer IPA



Tonight's Sunday Night Suds beer review looks at relatively new offering from Redhook breweries - the Long Hammer IPA (India Pale Ale).

I was actually quite surprised to see this brew in my favorite beer store (Beverage Barn on Jericho Turnpike, Garden City Park, NY - highly recommended). Redhook does not get much shelf space on the East Coast, I can count on one hand the number of stores in New York and New Jersey that I have seen it in, and most of them only the carry the ESB (I'll have to review that one a different day). Since I had never seen this one before, and I tend to like IPA's, I figured that I would pick up a six pack to try.

American IPAs are a unique twist on a traditional brew style. The American IPAs tend to be somewhat bitter, but with a complexity to the brew as well. They go very well with steaks and stews (especially cholent). This particular IPA has the bitterness down pat (maybe a little too bitter if you are drinking it on its own). The somewhat coppery hops flavor is there as well, along with some other flavors that my intermediate beer nose cannot truly identify. It finishes very cleanly, without a lingering aftertaste. The six pack holder had some prose on it that said that the beer is to remember the manual laborers that helped make this country great, but you don't need to be a construction worker to appreciate this beer. Last week, I gave one to Charlie H, a good friend at my firm who really appreciates beer. He could not stop raving about the flavor, although practically any beer is good on a hot day after trial.

Redhook Long hammer IPA is under the Kosher Supervision of the Orthodox Union as are all all beers that I have seen produced by Redhook. For the experts' take on the Long hammer IPA please click here http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/153/37834.

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.

If you have seen this post being carried on another site such as JBlog, please feel free to click here to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: