Sunday, May 11, 2008

Sunday Night Suds - Saranac Pomegranate Wheat


Tonight's Sunday Night Suds reviews what had previously been a Saranac seasonal offering that recently become a regular staple of the Saranac lineup - Pomegranate Wheat.

When in the supermarket Friday with my daughter Penina, I bumped into a friend (David N.) who wanted to know whether the beer that he was interested in trying (Pete's Strawberry Blonde) was Kosher. I told him that since it was a Pete's product it was under the hashgacha of the Va'ad of Detroit as is every product made in the FX Matt Brewery in Utica, NY. One day I need to stop in there and express my hakaras hatov (recognition of the good) for producing such a wide variety of kosher beer.

On my way home from shul on Friday Night, I bumped into David N again. He asked me whether the Pete's Strawberry Blonde was any good. I said that it was, if you liked beer flavored with strawberry. As this is not a Strawberry Blonde review, I will save my analysis of the brew for another Sunday. I did mention to him that if he liked the Strawberry Blonde, he should stop by my house on the way home from shul on Shabbos day for a bottle of the Saranac Pomegranate Wheat. Sure enough not long after we came home from shul, David & Wendy were at my door. I gave him a bottle of the Pomegranate Wheat along with a bottle of the Blue Moon Honey Moon (to see a review of the Honey Moon, click here). He then asked me whether the Pomegranate Wheat was a good beer to have with cholent, but I told him that the Honey Moon would provide a better flavor mix with the cholent. Truth be told, the regular Pete's Wicked Ale (reviewed here) would be a better choice, but as I explained to David, I did not have any cold ones in the fridge.

So what is the Saranc Pomegranate Wheat like? It is a wheat beer with the trademark cloudy appearance. Saranac has amped up the usual fruitiness of the wheat beer by adding some pomegranate juice to the fermentation process. I don't know if that makes it any healthier or trendier (since anything pomegranate seems to be all the rage among the health conscious). I do know that it gives the beer a bit of sweetness in the aftertaste that compliments the general wheat beer flavor. Having said that, it is not a top choice for cholent, but does go very well with sweet chicken, barbecue and teriyaki salmon.

Saranac Pomegranate Wheat is under the Kosher Supervision of the Vaad of Detroit as are all beers brewed by Saranac. For the experts' take on the Pomegranate Wheat please click here http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/99/36028 .

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.

If you have seen this post being carried on another site such as JBlog, please feel free to click here to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: