Sunday, July 20, 2008

Sunday Night Suds - Blue Moon Belgian White Ale


Tonight's Sunday Night Suds beer review looks at Blue Moon Belgian White Ale. I had recently been asked by a number of friends whether I drink the regular Blue Moon Ale, since I have now reviewed nearly all the seasonal varieties, but never reviewed the granddaddy of the family - Blue Moon Belgian White Ale.

With this in the back of my head, I started to wonder which beer I could review tonight. Since today was a Jewish fast day, I needed a beer that would go with a light dairy meal that we traditionally have after the fast. Although as a younger man I had broken fasts on meat dishes, I have found that as I have gotten older that maybe my mom was right (yes, I know, moms are always right) that its better to have dairy after a day without food. Of course, this might be genetics talking...

Having these two thoughts in my somewhat clouded brain (you try walking around NYC in 90 degree heat without water) I decided that I would end my fast this evening on Blue Moon Belgian White Ale and drink it with my wife's excellent tuna pasta salad. Of course, I did get some looks at the 7-11 as I was buying beer and the other frum people were buying Entenmann's, but to each their own.

Blue Moon Belgian White is a traditional Witbier (as opposed to an American style wheat beer). It is cloudy and somewhat orangy in color. Years ago, Blue Moon ran an ad campaign that you should drink the Blue Moon Belgian White Ale with a wedge of orange, but the flavors never worked for me. To be honest, the flavor did not work with my wife's tuna pasta salad either, but I never claimed that all my food combo pairings would work out.

Bottom line - Blue Moon Belgian White Ale is a good beer with a somewhat sweetish flavor and very little aftertaste. It goes well on its own in a glass after a hard day's work or as a drink with spicy chicken or meat dishes. It also goes well with a hearty baked fish dishes. But litza'aree, I just can't recommend pairing it with tuna pasta salad (or any salads for that matter).

Blue Moon Belgian White Ale (like all Coors products that I am aware of) is under the Kosher Supervision of the Orthodox Union. To see what the experts on Beer Advocate think about the Belgian White Ale, please follow this link - http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/306/1212.

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.

If you have seen this post being carried on another site such as JBlog, please feel free to click here to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: