Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunday Night Suds - Saranac Summer Brew

This week's Sunday Night Suds beer review looks at Saranac Summer Brew.

There are many hackneyed expressions which generally demonstrate the point of "every dog has its day." None of the expressions applies to the Saranac Summer Brew, which proves the point that every brewery will produce at least one undrinkable beer (i.e. a failed experimental brew).

The concept behind the Saranac Summer Brew is not a bad one - combine the tartness of lemonade with a cold lager have a slightly tangy beer. This has worked well for Blue Moon which produces Rising Moon in the spring - a beer with the slight tang of lime zest. I have never had Mike's Hard Lemonade as it has NOT been under a known hashgacha, but it seems from the constant questions that I get from people, that some must like its combination of tart and alcohol as well.

The combination did not work for Saranac which produced a beer with the pale yellow color and a flavor reminiscent of yellow lollipops. Would this be tolerable as a sucking candy? Yes, if you had a sore throat. As a beer, it just can't get any worse.

As I said at the outset, every brewery will produce a dog here or there. For Samuel Adams, its the Cranberry Lambic. For Lakefront, its the Fuel Cafe (Coffee flavored beer?). For Saranac its this lemonade lager which will hopefully retired after its one and only summer.

To paraphrase the eminent Dr Seuss - I would not drink this from a can (yes I know it comes in a bottle) I would not drink this with some lamb, I would not drink this in my house, I would not serve this to a louse, I would not have this if I was dying from thirst (maybe a small exaggeration) I would not have this in a Hearst, I will not ever again drink the Saranac Summer Brew, I would not drink this if I was you.

Saranac Summer Brew is under the Kosher Supervision of the Va'ad of Detroit as is every other beer produced at the Matt Brewery plant in Utica, NY. To see what the experts on Beer Advocate think about the Summer Brew, please follow this link - http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/99/49614.

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.

If you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable).

If you have seen this post being carried on another site such as JBlog, please feel free to click here to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!





No comments: