Sunday, July 20, 2014

Sunday Night Suds - Big Eddy Imperial IPA


This week's Sunday Night Suds looks at Big Eddy Imperial IPA.

As I have written before, the name Big Eddy does not conjure images of class or refinement, yet this is the name chosen by Leinenkugel for their premium line of beers. I know that it may seem that I am fixated with this topic, but its tough to take a beer seriously when it makes me think of a bald old bus driver I had, but I digress...

I picked up this beer in the Total Wine store in Delaware. Total Wine is one the better national chain beer/liquor stores as they have a fantastic selection with decent prices, no matter which state that you shop in. When leaving Baltimore on a Sunday I could not stop in my Total Wine store of choice (Towson) as they observe blue laws and do not open on Sundays. But since my GPS informed me that the Claymont, Delaware store was not far off I-95, I made a stop in and loaded up on quality beer at excellent prices.

The Big Eddy Imperial IPA poured a very dark orange with a decent amount of lacing. The hops were present and they melded well with the complex alcohol flavor that comes with a beer which is 8.2 abv. The beer is not the kind of brew that you would drink quickly as it is meant to be savored. I tried mine with Andrew S. (aka the Tzaddik of Camp M from prior years' posts) on a Shabbos afternoon. As we had this after a post lunch shiur, there was no accompanying food, but I could see pairing this with a good steak.

Leinenkugel's Big Eddy Imperial IPA is certified kosher by the Orthodox Union, and has an OU on the label. To see what the experts on Beer Advocate think about this beer, please follow this link http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/710/35806

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.

If you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable). 

If you have seen this post being carried on another site, please feel free to click http://www.kosherbeers.blogspot.com to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: