Sunday, December 7, 2008

Sunday Night Suds - Coopers Sparkling Ale


Tonight's beer review looks at Coopers Sparkling Ale, another of the fine brews produced by one of the lesser known (in America) breweries in Australia.

About a year ago I first came across Coopers beer in Big Z in Huntington, New York. I had been dying to try Coopers as it has a great reputation and was certified kosher by Kosher Australia (formerly known as Melbourne Kosher). Unfortunately, I could never find Coopers in New York, no matter how hard I tried, until that day in February.

When I asked the guys at Big Z about Coopers and why they were able to get some, they told me that Coopers was making a push for the NY Market. Well, the push must not have been that hard, as I have only seen it at Big Z, Shoreline (also in Huntington) and Beer Garden (Hillside Avenue, Queens just over the Van Wyck).

The interesting thing about Coopers is that they don't use an expiration date or include the date of production on the bottle. Instead, the bottle contains a "best after" date. I checked their website for the reason and learned that:


Under Australia’s food laws, any product that lasts more than two years in the bottle does not require a best before date. The best after date was introduced to ensure that the minimum two weeks required for secondary fermentation has expired before the bottles are distributed for sale... Coopers Pale Ale, Mild Ale, Sparkling Ale, Dark Ale and Best Extra Stout are at their optimum upon leaving the Brewery but will still develop and mature, for in excess of twelve (12) months if stored in cool and dark conditions.

Unlike my experience with the Coopers Pale Ale (see review here http://kosherbeers.blogspot.com/2008/03/sunday-night-suds-coopers-original-pale.html), I found the Sparkling Ale to be quite refreshing with a little bit of bite. The beer itself has some sharpness to it and the carbonation level is perfect. There was no lacing on the side of the glass, but if you are planning on drinking (rather than admiring it) that should not bother you. I have enjoyed mine with quite a diverse assortment of food and I found that it goes well with everything. I'm saving my last bottle to try with pizza, as I suspect that it would go well with that as well.

As indicated above, Coopers Sparkling Ale is under the kosher supervision of Kosher Australia. I have attached a picture of the kosher symbols above the picture of the bottle itself above. This may be the only non-Israeli beer with the words Kosher Parve L'Mehadrin on the label. Click the first picture above to see the twin certification marks in greater detail.

To see the experts' take on Coopers Sparkling Ale, please follow this link http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/491/2128 .

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.

If you have seen this post being carried on another site such as JBlog, please feel free to click here to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!


No comments: