Sunday, December 21, 2008

Sunday Night Suds - Samuel Adams Old Fezziwig Ale


This week's Sunday Night Suds ventures into the holiday brews and looks at Samuel Adams Old Fezziwig Ale. Sounds awful, but tastes incredible.

I first encountered the Old Fezziwig Ale when my friend Rabbi Dan R. told me that he was going to Costco to buy a Samuel Adams winter case (24 bottles - six varieties) and asked me whether I would be interested in splitting it with him. This was a few years back and I had never heard of most of these varieties, but since the Star-K had them on the approved list I figured that it would be a good way to broaden my beer appreciation so I gave him the green light.

When I took home my half of the box, I have to admit to being skeptical about the Old Fezziwig Ale. Beer brewed with cinnamon, ginger and orange peel just sounded a little too bizarre to me. Still, I only was given two from the box, so I figured that worst case scenario I would just find someone to give the other away to if I did not like it. Boy was I surprised.

The Old Fezziwig Ale is a little bit of a misnomer since it does not really taste much like an ale. if anything it seems to lean toward porter in my opinion. Still, the flavors really work together to create a beer with a rich body and some sweetness, but without being over the top. There is a strong presence of malt and the spice enhances the flavor so that even someone who does not like the darker beers can appreciate it. My wife stays away from the caramel and chocolate hopped beers as she is not a big fan of their heavy flavor, but the Old Fezziwig is an exception for her due to its well balanced flavor.

So what would I have it with? It goes well with tomato based sauces or glazed poultry. This year's version comes with a suggestion that you substitute the Old Fezziwig for milk and have it with gingerbread cookies. Now if I can only convince Sarah to make ginger snaps...

Old Fezziwig comes in the Samuel Adams Winter Selections boxes (either 12 of 24 pack cases). I have been unable to locate it in six or twelve packs of its own. It has a high alcohol content (5.9% abv) but you don't really taste that in the beer.

Samuel Adams Old Fezziwig Ale is certified kosher by the Star-K. For the experts' take on the Old Fezziwig, click here http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/1881.

As always, please remember to drink responsibly and to never waste good beer unless there is no designated driver.

Finally, if you've tried this beer or any others which have been reviewed on the kosher beers site, please feel free to post your comments (anonymous comments are acceptable).

If you have seen this post being carried on another site such as JBlog, please feel free to click here to find other articles on the kosherbeers blogsite. Hey its free and you can push my counter numbers up!

No comments: